Must read YA books?
I was gonna include this with my previous post, but it started getting way too long, so here it is on its own.
The Longstockings’ Question of the Day from Tuesday: “My question is what ‘MUST READ’ books would you include in a primer dedicated to YA or on a syllabus for a YA course?” And Becky’s thoughts.
I agree with:
- Monster by Walter Dean Myers
- American Born Chinese by Gene Yang
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- What My Mother Doesn’t Know by Sonya Sones
and I know I’m forgetting stuff since I can’t take a look at my collection, but I would add:
- Weetzie Bat by Francesca Lia Block
- something by Meg Cabot
- something by Sarah Dessen
- Hero by Perry Moore (or Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan)
- Harry Potter and the Sorceror’s Stone by J. K. Rowling
- Gossip Girl by Cecily von Ziegesar because even though it’s not great literature, it’s popular, on the ALA’s list of frequently challenged books, spawned imitators, and is the basis of a new TV show
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky? (which, okay, I haven’t read, but I need some guy books here!)
- and you need to have some manga, but I’m not sure what I’d pick. Naruto, maybe, just because it’s so popular?
What about you?