Quick YMA reactions
Anyway, I didn’t do predictions this year because I was so unsure, but can I just direct you to my comment over at Jackie’s? Even though I got the Morris wrong (because I figured, hey, a fantasy has won the last two years! Should have stuck with what I said in the comments at Stacked, that I thought The Freak Observer had the most award-bait) and I thought there was no way Interrupting Chicken was going to win even a Caldecott honor. And when I have more time, I need to read the interviews with David Ezra Stein and Erin Stead at Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast.
Overall, while there were some surprises, I’m really happy with this year’s YMA winners and honor books. Especially the Printz; I think this is the happiest I’ve been with the Printz list since becoming a librarian. The list in its entirety, I mean, since Jellicoe Road winning in 2009 was, by itself, so overwhelmingly exciting and squee-inducing that I didn’t really care which books received honors. 40% of this year’s Printz list shocked me by actually being predictable (Nothing and the winner, Ship Breaker, which both had strong Mock Printz support, and you all know how I feel about these two books in the first place), and the other 60% shocked me by being, well, shocking. Stolen, I had written off when it didn’t make the Morris shortlist. I tried reading Revolver earlier this year, because it was on Patti’s Mock Printz list, but couldn’t get into it, so I’ll guess I need to give it another try. (Also, what happens in the epilogue?) And I started Please Ignore Vera Dietz yesterday after talking with another librarian on Friday, so I plan to finish it after posting this. Well, either that or take a nap, since I only got a couple of hours of sleep because I woke up extra, extra early to watch the awards webcast and have to go to work later.
My other reactions boil down to:
1. What happened to They Called Themselves the K.K.K. by Susan Campbell Bartoletti? It’s like this year’s Marching for Freedom.
2. Really happy that Five Flavors of Dumb won the Schneider Family Award for teens.
ETA: 3. ALA Annual is in New Orleans this year, right? So it’s even more apropos that Ship Breaker won. Would love to be there for the Printz ceremony and Bacigalupi’s speech.
Okay, I’ve made up my mind. Naptime. Then work, and hopefully I can check out everyone else’s reactions during lunch.
Thanks to the award committees, and congratulations to all the winners and honorees!